Creating Natural Cleaning for project three was a challenge. I took over 100 picture with the Nikon D5100 DLSR camera. I ended up with eight photographs featured, as listed below:
- Bottle of Essential Oil
- Box of Borax
- Bottle of Castile’s Liquid Soap
- Lemon, Lots of Lemons
- All-Purpose Cleaner Ingredients
- Box of Baking Soap
- More Lemons and Sea Salt
- A Bowl of Citrus
- My Signature
Incorporated was a scanned image of a spiral notebook. I wanted to use it in the magazine spread but I think it worked better here. I grouped the image for the spreads and added a colored rectangle to the bleed. When printing to the postscript file the realization that the old table of contents was grouped within these two objects began apparent. The objects were accessed on the interior master page and ungrouped. Then, the old tale of contents was deleted and all the objects put back into place.
The booklet’s topic covered natural cleaning. The format was a cook book, Six recipes were included with a table of contents. The storyline threaded to another page.
Color was handling through the Swatch panel. I used the Kuler extension to pick a pallet. Other colors brought in from the images listed below and the border images. Spot and sampled colors were converts to process colors.
I really enjoyed learning the page transition feature. I appreciate getting html to pop into any website.
Technical Statement – Colophon
Used a notebook for edges of pages. Choose calibrate and characterized scanner profile when setting up. Scanned image using the RGB color space and 300 dpi. Using adobe photo shop CS6, global and local adjustments tweaked with the following tools:
- Color balance
- Unsharp mask
Taken with Nikon D5100 DLSR camera. Modification made and cropped to size in Adobe Photo Shop CS6. Both types of files were converted to the CMYK space and the SWOP v2 Coated Profile. Saved to a TIFF file.
Adobe InDesign Layout
Created a new 12 facing page layout with Portrait Orientation each page is 5 inches by five inches. Layout has .25 margins and .25 page bleeds on each side. Color pallet created in Kuler extension. Style Sheet setup using paragraph styles. An interior page master was created and applied to recipe pages. By placing images in document, a link was created. Created TOC from paragraphs style called “Recipe Title”. Used print booklet option. Created printer preset to created postscript file that when open creates a PDF file.
Still working on this one……
The booklet contains bleeds which extends the color off the edge of the page and is trimmed off. The design was created in Adobe InDesign.
The Image Transfer Lab runs a Ryobi 3302 HA 2 color offset lithographic printing press. To create a full color document, it requires two runs through the press. Cyan and black were printed on the first run. At the next run date, careful alignment and registration was made to ensure that yellow and magenta fit into it’s place and that the other color densities were met.
The signature sheets were printed with the final output pages in the proper position so that when folded the pages are in order. Two right angle folds were efficiently done with the Mathias Baurle folder; which is a buckle folder. The booklet is then saddle stitched using the Bindery-Mate stitcher. This makes the document lie flat and it opens completely. The booklet was trimmed into fished output using the Challenge 265 paper-cutter.
First Time Offered
This is my final semester at the University of Houston. One of my courses is Package Design. It is the first time that this subject has been offered.
This my preliminary project done in Adobe Illustrator 6.0. I used color, lines, shapes, typefaces and gradients.
I am learning ESKO software. These are a couple of screen shots of my crude box designs. The sample shows a distributed object.
- Esko begins 2013 US trade show season with presence at Graphics of the Americas and Dscoop8 (whattheythink.com)
- Packaging Trends 2013 (packaging-news-weekly.co.uk)
- Spatial Helps Esko Shift Packaging Design from 2D to 3D (virtual-strategy.com)